Web part error on Project Detail Pages after a 5 database Project Server instance restore from a different environment

 You may encounter web part issues on various Project Detail Pages after a 5 database restore from another environment on Project Server 2010. If you look at the ULS logs you may find the below entries:

Web Part Exception Unique ID: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.ProjectFieldPartBase.GatherAndLoadCFList(Boolean bForceRefresh)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.ProjectFieldPartBase.RebindGrid(Boolean forceRefresh)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.ProjectFieldPartBase.PWA_OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.PWAResiliencyPart.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

In various cases it means that during the provisioning of the databases the Project Server Service Application failed to update the value of the PWAURL. Below you can find the steps to check and update the value:

$Web = get-SPWeb http://<servername>/<PWAInstance>

$Web.AllProperties | Format-Table

Check the PWAURL variable. If the returned value is too long and the result is trimmed run the below command:

$Props = $Web.AllProperties

$Props.PWAURL

Check the results. If the result is not the URL of the new instance you can change it using:
 
$Web.AllProperties[“PWAURL”]=”NEW PWAInstance URL

$Web.Update()

Task ‘SharePoint’ reported error (0x800004005) : This SharePoint List (xxxxxxxx Site - Team Calendar) is blocked from download to offline clients.’

If you press the "Connect to Outlook" button on the ribbon of a calendar in SharePoint 2010 the server creates a URL similar to the following: stssync://sts/?ver=1.1&type=calendar&cmd=add-folder&base-url=http%3A%2F%2FSITEURL&list-url=%2FLists%2FTeam%2520Calendar%2F&guid=%7Ba0b6a3dc%2D8416%2D48bf%2D9fa1%2D1f2c45fb3fb3%7D&site-name=SITENAME&list-name=Team%20Calendar. If you go to Outlook you may see a Send-Receive error stating: Task ‘SharePoint’ reported error (0x800004005) : This SharePoint List (xxxxxxxx Site - Team Calendar) is blocked from download to offline clients.’ . There are two possible reasons for this error.

  1. Under Site Settings - Site Administration - Search and Offline Availability - Offline Client Availability check that yes is selected.
  2. Under List Settings - Advanced Settings - Offline Client Availability check that yes is selected.

SharePoint 2010 gives you the ability to disallow offline client availability on both site and list level.

Additions to this Web site have been blocked - error message when you check user permissions

I came across this issue a few days ago where all users with Full Control privileges seemed to have lost their elevated privileges on a specific site collection in a SharePoint 2010 farm. They were unable to add users to a group or make any kind of changes. It turned out that a site collection backup failed and it set a read-only lock on the site collection. After removing the lock everything went back to normal.

Project Server 2010 requires at least Microsoft Internet Explorer 7" when visiting Project Web Access 2010 with Internet Explorer 7.0 or above

​1. This will happen when you also have one of below third-party browsers open:

1. AMERICA ONLINE BROWSER
2. AVANT BROWSER
3. GECKO
4. FIREFOX
5. OPERA
6. SAFARI


When these third-party browsers are open, they will be included in UserAgent in HTTP request which is sent to Project Web Access. If Project Server finds these browsers in UserAgent, it will throw the error message: "Project Server 2010 requires at least Micorosft Internet Explorer 7"

Resolution: close third party browsers

2. Set the browser mode of IE 10 to run in compatibility mode. To do so, either click on Tools > F12 developer tools in the toolbar, or click on the settings icon and choose F12 developer tools.

Move-SPUser or stsadm -o migrateuser fails with "Value cannot be null"

I ran into an issue with the migrateuser stsadm command. When I tried to run it using the Farm Admin account I got a "Value cannot be null" response. I searched for a solution and came across the following article:

http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2011/06/move-spuser-or-stsadm-o-migrateuser-and-userprofileserviceproxy-value-cannot-be-null/

The solution for this issue in our case was to run the command with the Farm account.

About the author

Hi! I'm Marcell Mikolcsó, SharePoint and Enterprise Administrator, System Architect.

Month List

Page List